Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Heaven will be 75 degrees

Our area of Switzerland is struggling this summer to get out of the low 70s. I am OK with this. Really OK. I HATE being hot. To me, 75 is the temperature of absolute bliss. (It is also the right temperature for wearing pants after you've badly botched an application of self-tanning spray.)

Eight years ago when I lived here, for two of the six months it was in the 90s without a break. I had a second floor apartment without air conditioning; I also worked on the top floor of an old building without air conditioning. I coped by taking three icy showers a day (I normally HATE cold showers) and immersing myself in the snow-melt water of the Rhine a couple times a week. It was miserable.

It's amazing to spend a summer without air conditioning and yet to hardly be turning on a fan in our flat. We just don't need it. In fact, this week I wore a long-sleeved shirt to work, and the other day I wore a fleece to the grocery store. Our church also just about froze at our Summer Barbecue (keeping in mind it is August).

As I'm hearing reports of the horrible heat in the U.S. Midwest, I am inwardly crying out thanks to God for this cool summer here.

No comments:

Post a Comment