Friday, May 13, 2011

English class on summer break

I stepped in to teach the last three English classes for J., who was teaching English in Russia the past few months. Tonight was the final class before they take a summer break, then resume in September.

Two of the teachers won't be doing it again in the fall, so I was asked to become a regular teacher. I was really excited to be asked to do this. I know I am not as good as J. (who is a certified ESL instructor), but I hope that I can still do a good enough job so that the attendees feel they are learning.

Yesterday evening, instead of normal class, the 30 or so people who are usually broken out into three different levels, met together to play a group card game that would help them practice a bit of English while mingling and having fun. They seemed apprehensive about it, because the game was a little complicated, and of course it used a lot of words they didn't know. But in the end I think they had fun.

We all brought snacks and desserts (I made pumpkin bars) and then sat around and talked afterward. I met a new girl I hadn't seen before, although apparently she's a regular. There are only two attendees who are under 40, and she is one of them -- Sandra. We had a good long talk, and I'm disappointed that I only met her now, since we won't see each other all summer. Also, she is planning to begin school in the fall and doesn't know if she'll be able to fit in the English classes anymore. So that was a bummer. I thought about asking her for her contact information, but wasn't confident enough to do so since I'd only just met her.

I did get an e-mail address for a lady in my class named Cornelia. She is really sweet, and I've gotten to know her a bit here and there when I've substitute taught. Cornelia mentioned that she really enjoys playing card games. So I hesitantly ventured to ask if she might teach me a Swiss card game this summer. She gave me her email and I gave her mine, and I hope that we can get together once or twice. Another lady also gave me a flyer for a barbecue she's having in July.

So, I made some new acquaintances at the last minute and hope that they can turn into friends over time.

I felt genuinely sorry tonight that we won't see each other again for several months. But I know it will go by fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment